Poetry Out Loud is a national contest that begins at the school level. Contestants memorize one poem for the BHS competition, which will take place in mid-November. Participants are judged on six criteria: Physical Presence, Voice & Articulation, Dramatic Appropriateness, Evidence of Understanding, Overall Performance, and Accuracy. All the rules and the poems can be found at www.poetryoutloud.org. If you're interested in participating, please see Mr. Nolan in the library and fill out this Google Form.
- Choose one poem by Wednesday, October 25
- School Contest Wednesday, November 15 @ Lunch, Room TBA--recite ONE poem
- School Champ chooses 2nd poem by Monday, November 20
- School Champ chooses 3rd poem by Monday, December 4
- School Champion Workshop Tuesday, December 5, 5:30 - 7:30 @ Thurber Center, 91 Jefferson Ave.
- Regionals Tuesday, December 12--recite 2 poems
- States: Friday, February 9--recite 3 poems
- National Finals: May 9-10, Lisner Auditorium (@ George Washington U), Washington, D.C.
Prizes at the National level are
- First Place = $20,000
- Second Place = $10,000
- Third Place = $5,000
- 4-9 earn = $1,000