Poetry Out Loud is a national contest that begins at the school level. Contestants memorize one poem for the BHS competition, which will take place in January during lunch in the Cassingham Theater. Participants are judged on six criteria: Physical Presence, Voice & Articulation, Dramatic Appropriateness, Evidence of Understanding, Overall Performance, and Accuracy. All the rules and the poems can be found at www.poetryoutloud.org. If you're interested in participating, please see Mr. Nolan in the library and fill out this Google Form.
- Choose one poem by Wednesday, December 14
- School Contest Wednesday, January 17 @ Lunch, Room TBA--recite ONE poem
- School Champ chooses 2nd poem by Monday, January 16
- School Champion Workshop 6:30 p.m., January 31 @ Thurber House
- Regional Contest: 6:00 p.m., February 8 @ Thurber House
- State Finals: 6:00 p.m., March 10 @ WOSU
- National Finals: May 8-10, Washington, D.C.
Prizes at the National level are
- First Place = $20,000
- Second Place = $10,000
- Third Place = $5,000
- 4-9 earn = $1,000