Starting in seventh grade, students may participate in athletics under the guidance of the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA). Bexley offers 16 teams across three seasons. The district's middle school theater program for grades 6 - 8 produces a fall play and late winter musical, in addition to offering various other district theater activities.
Students who participate in athletics, theater, student council, extra-curricular activities with competition, or co-curricular programs with travel are subject to several policies governing participation. Students and parents should be aware of these:
- Alcohol Use by Students/Students Drug Abuse (Board Policy JFCH/JFCI Located Under Board of Education) - This policy prohibits student use of drugs, alcohol, and tobacco 24/7/365 both on and off campus. Students become BMS students the day after sixth grade ends and a violation of this policy over the summer can impact their eligibility the following fall. This policy balances education with discipline for students who violate the policy. Involvement in school activities reduces the likelihood that students will engage in risky behavior and keeping them involved through a violation makes them less likely to repeat. If a student needs help with a substance abuse problem, the district can provide confidential resources. Please contact any administrator or counselor for support.
- Academic Integrity Policy (Board Policy JFCM) - This policy prohibits students from engaging in behaviors that give them or others the opportunity to obtain credit for work that is not their own. Students who commit a major offense (one that significantly impacts the content of the academic product or is a repeated violation) will become ineligible to participate for a period of time.
- Academic Standards - To be academically eligible to participate, students must pass all classes in the previous quarter (starting with fall of seventh grade). When a student earns a "Insufficient Evidence (0)" in any class, but passes five others, he or she may apply for a eligibilty through the principal. Please see for additional information.
Extra Curricular Eligibility
- School Attendance - All students are required to attend school for the entire school day in order to be eligible to participate in a contest or event that same day. Students who miss school due to a doctor's appointment will be allowed to participate with a note from the doctor. In addition, the building principal or athletic director may grant exceptions to this rule, based on review of individual cases and any extenuating circumstances.
- TDAP & Meningitis Booster - All students entering seventh grade must by law have these immunizations and we must exclude students who do not provide verification. Parents/guardians should talk to their pediatricians to obtain documentation; most doctors provide this vaccination during grades 5 - 6, so a student may have already had it. Verification can be submitted to the registered nurse at the elementary school.
- Summer Academy - Students who need additional preparation/ support in the areas of math and reading may be recommended for Bexley's Summer Academy. Recommendations come from current teachers and families receive letters in the spring about enrolling. The classes are open to anyone who would like to attend and information about them is available through a variety of district communications and in each school office.